So our run of the Progressive Snapshot program is officially over. My policy just renewed and I got my final discount (8% for me and 18% for Jen). Whoopee!

Along with finding out the final "discount" ... which worked out to a total of $117 per 6 months, I also got my new renewal policy. That discount sounds pretty awesome when you consider that just over a year ago I was paying $900 every 6 months. Then came my "initial" Snapshot discount in May. I was down to $813 per 6 months.

So after my new $117 discount, you'd think I'd be even lower than that, right? Nope... went up $45 to $858 for a 6 month premium. So even though I saved a total of $234 per year thanks to my Snapshot data, my policy actually increased $324 in that same period for no apparent reason. What. The. Fuck?

Of course I took to the Twitterverse to  express my frustration and was met with the expected reply from Progressive:

We're always here to help review your policy w/ you to see where we might save you $$ on your policy. Plz call us at... blah blah blah

OK, that's awesome. So a year ago, after being a customer for 6 years previously, my policy was getting out of control and I had to call to get a "new policy" and save some money. That's fine. And now barely 18 months later I'm being told to do the same exact thing again?!

As I replied on Twitter, this is NOT something I should have to do on a regular basis to keep an acceptable premium price. Once... OK, that's fine. But just over a year later doing it again? That's messed up.

Someone is getting a phone call alright... but it's going to be to get some fucking answers. This is not how you keep your customers happy.

8 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Progressive Snapshot Final “Savings””

• Jessica

September 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Have you checked around with other companies? I think you could be surprised with nationwide. We don’t even want to keep our insurance there since I “used to” work there but it’s been the cheapest for us for home and auto. Nothing else even compares. Try the Stewart agency.

• ack154

September 2, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I have previously checked other companies and no one has come close. Just got off the phone with them now and the only explanation I get is that my area had a “rate change” … apparently enough of a change to completely offset my Snapshot discount and STILL increase my policy. One of their reps looked through my policy to see if there was anything else they could do and he could only find another $7 in savings. I said not to bother. F-ing ridiculous.

• Keith

November 14, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Wait…can you break down how it went up $324 in a year? I’m not following the math.

• Hmmm

November 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I’m glad that I read this. It is exactly what I was afraid of; I don’t want to get a discount and have them raise my rates at the same time. I guess I’ll stick with Geico.

• ack154

November 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm

@Keith: The $324 is the sum of my Snapshot discount + the amount my policy increased after the discount – then multiplied by 2 to cover a period year. Thus assuming were it not for my Snapshot, my policy was going to go up that much per year regardless.

@Hmmm: Don’t get me wrong, the Snapshot still saved me some money – or at least it seems. Because without that, it would have gone up even more. It just so happened that in the period where my Snapshot was applied my policy also was going up some ridiculous amount. 🙁

• Brian

February 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Same thing happened to me. My discount of 26% ($99 on a 6 month policy) was COMPLETELY offset due to area rate changes. My policy only decreased by $3.00.

This smells awfully fishy to me.

• jj

March 2, 2012 at 12:29 am

Found this post after signing up for snapshot, couple of points.
    1) the math is a little off, The final discount is 117 off the original price of 900, not off of 848 (this already included part of the discount).
    The new price is $848 but your expected price would be $900 – 117 = 783.
    So the actual increase = new price – (original price – discount) = 848 – (900 – 117) = 848 – 783 = $65.

So overall it went up $130/year and you still saved $234 due to snapshot, a difference of $104 a year, saving you $52 instead of $117 per 6 months. Ultra lame that it can change that much in one period.

2) Agreeing with Brian, It’d be horrible if they were nullifying snapshot discounts with ‘area rate changes’. I just started my insurance with them as they were the cheapest to begin with, plus I’m hoping to save with snapshot.

3) Did you drop the policy? Who do you have now/how much?

• Marc

April 9, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Yup… I’ve been ping-ponging between Progressive and MetLife for the last few years. Progressive won me with a savings of almost 50% one year … and in 12 months I got the “area rate change” and they were more expensive than Met.

Switch #2.

After a few years with Met, rates crept up and now Progressive is coming in 35% lower. Before the Snapshot discount comes up. I travel for work and have very low mileage – I’m hoping that gives me a bigger discount, but now I’m really wondering if my late night / early AM airport trips will mess it all up.