I'm still torn in wondering if this is just some strange spam or not... but I don't think so.

I got an email from someone claiming to be "Ann Place" from The Daily. You know, that fancy new iPad news app? The text of the email goes like this:

Hi Allan

You may have seen speculation about 'The Daily' in the press over the past few weeks, but I'd like you and the readers of Allankintz.com to learn about it directly from us. I'm thrilled to announce the launch of The Daily, the first national news publication created specifically for the iPad and published 365 days a year. Here's a link to a news release with tons of info, images, video and more:

Please feel free to post any of it, and if you do, I hope you'll email me the link so I can share it with our team. Questions? I'd be happy to help you if I can, so send them my way.

Thanks very much!

Ann

The strange tip-off to me is the URL... some "newsrelease" site? But it has "thedaily" in the name? My first though is, that says spam... or at least some sort of phishing. Googling for this Ann Place turns up virtually nothing useful or anything that would say this is "official."

But the trick here is again, the URL. A quick WhoIs shows that it is registered to a Christopher Abraham. A quick Google of that guy ends up here. Apparently stating that The Daily is some sort of client of these people. I don't know who they are or what they do... but they have some pretty random marketing tactics.

Yes, I'm an iPad user... but I'm hardly a news outlet of any sort. And I probably only know 2 or 3 people that have iPads. But apparently I'm important enough for someone to email me passively suggesting that I review the app and post about it.

I may... I may not. I just wanted to post something about it in case others get this email and wonder WTF is going on. I also wonder just how many people this went out to...

UPDATE: If you check out the comments below, you can see that this has been confirmed as a legitimate email from the firm associated with the app. Good to know!

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Very Strange Marketing Idea”

• AppFreak

February 3, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Hi, I got the same email and found the URL very strange. I run an iPad app site, I get emails like this every day.

I thought the email was legit until I saw the “newsrelease” site, which looks quite cheap and is not the original. A Google search brought me to your site. I’m emailing thedaily.com to find out more about Ann Place

I have also replied to Ann Place… let’s see if she ever replies with more spammy offers.

• Chris Abraham

February 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Hello Allan,

This is Chris Abraham, President of Abraham Harrison. We are working directly with The Daily in support of the launch of their app. Unfortunately, last minute changes kept it from going out at the moment of release, alas. The strategy was to include everyone — not just the bloggers who where invited explicitly to the event on the 2nd. The URL and the outreach approach is developed in that particular way because most bloggers are not journalists and are not privy to the lingua franca of public relations — so we make it as easy as possible, as simple as possible — basically simple, easy to navigate, easy to steal (as in copy-and-paste) so that as many bloggers can get tapped by The Daily, through us, as possible. Ann is a staffer here in lieu of Abigail, social media manager from the daily, because her day was super-busy yesterday with the launch and so forth. So, feel free to reach out to me, to Ann, to us, and so forth, and we’re happy to connect you to the gang at the daily — and sorry to stir the cauldron of conspiracy and controversy!

• Chris Abraham

February 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm

PS: Thanks so much for posting.

• ack154

February 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm

And there you have it everyone… from the horse’s mouth… as it were.

Thank you for clearing the air Chris! Glad to see that everything is on the up and up.

• Chris Abraham

February 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Thanks a lot — that means a lot to me. I popped you and Julen an email of thanks as well.

• AppFreak

February 4, 2011 at 3:06 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for making this clear.

I was just worried about your staff trying to impersonate your client, implying they work at The Daily. Disclosing that Ann works for an external PR agency would have made it more transparent and probably a good contact for the future. Perhaps I’m too old fashioned, but signing an email as a worker of The Daily is not best practice.

If you decide to contact me in the future, please sign as Abraham Harrison so it doesn’t go right to the spam folder!