The era of the first generation Scion tC is coming to a close. FINALLY.
Don't get me wrong, I love my car - but it is a bit "long in the tooth" as they say. Needs replacing soon. Very soon. Thankfully Scion has that replacement currently in their pocket... to debut in just a couple of days at the NY Auto Show this year.
Even before that happens there have been various teasers unleashed upon the internets. All directly from Scion themselves. They even setup a website to release a new bit each day. You can keep up with the teasers at ScionDimension.com. Better catch up soon though, there's only one piece left...
What we know so far...
- Eight Speakers - Why 8, I don't know. I've been pretty happy with the 6 I have. Hopefully they'll include a decent subwoofer by default though.
- Panoramic Moonroof - This doesn't really seem to change from the first generation.
- Cement Grey Color - Not sure yet if this is to replace the silver colors or maybe Flint Mica. Looks pretty light.
- USB / AUX Port - Not a big deal, again. Current gen has this, why use it as a teaser? More significantly, in the other pictures we've seen, there is a traction control button just above this.
- New Wheels - This should have been a given - not a teaser.
- Six Speed Transmission - FINALLY. Like I posted on ScionLife, this has to be near the very top of requests from the outgoing generation. I would LOVE to have a 6th gear in mine.
That's it so far though... and to be honest, I'm not impressed yet. I'd say the transmission is the biggest news so far. The traction control would be nice (though it will be federally mandated at some point - so it has to be there). But nothing yet that is really "WOW!" to me. I've even heard not so encouraging things about the new design from people that have seen it.
I'm still keeping an open mind, but I just don't know...
Then there's a whole other side of this that is still up in the air. That is, I probably won't be buying one anyway. If the FT-86 is anywhere near what it was shown as in concept form, I'm buying that. Done. No cross shopping anything. WANT.
So this second generation Scion tC would have to reach ridiculous levels of awesome for me to consider it. And I just don't see that happening...